Remember when we showed you how to make pasta here? Well let's do something with it! Pasta Carbonara is sort of like roasting a chicken. It's supremely simple but very easy to screw up so it's oftentimes used as an audition to a kitchen job. If you can get your Carbonara or your roasted chicken perfect, then you pay attention to the subtleties and take the most simple things seriously. You're hired.
2. For the pasta, let's make tagliolinni. Working with one sheet at a time, place one in front of you so that the longest side is parallel to you. Liberally dust with flour.
5. With the seam side up, use a sharp chef's knife to cut 1/8" strips.
7. Bring a large pot of water to boil and salt it heavily.
8. In a large mixing bowl combine the egg yolks, 1 cup freshly grated parmesan, one tablespoon olive oil and fresh cracked black pepper. Whisk vigorously with a pair of kitchen tongs.
10. Meanwhile boil the pasta for about 45 seconds. Use your tongs to remove it from the water and then add to the pan with the bacon.
12. Then add 1/4 cup of the pasta water to lift up anything sticking in the pan. Toss around vigorously with your tongs to emulsify.
14. Alternate between placing the bowl over the pasta water to keep it warm as you whip. If you'd like the dish to be more saucy, then add a bit more pasta water.
|Photos: George Simian|